Gaming Videos 2013
From new consoles to big releases, 2013 has been a huge year for gaming.
YouTube captured recent gaming trends by releasing the 10 most-watched videos in its “Gaming” category this year. Among the list are trailers, gameplay videos, montages and more.
Some surprises on the list include three “Let’s Play” videos, which each racked up millions of views. Typically more than 30 minutes long, they are lengthy videos in which YouTubers air unedited gameplay footage along with their own narration, usually with a humorous bent. YouTube’s most popular channel PewDiePie, which boasts over 17 million subscribers, have two videos in this year’s top 10.
You can view the full list, below.
1. “PlayStation 4” by PlayStation
The official announcement trailer for the PlayStation 4 was released along with Sony’s presentation on Feb. 20.
2. “Grand Theft Auto V: Official Gameplay Video” by Rockstar Games
The first gameplay trailer showed players the giant, open world of Grand Theft Auto V, so they naturally went crazy for it.
3. “OUTRAGEOUS ENDING! – Mad Father (6)” by PewDiePie
“Let’s Play” videos took off this year, and YouTuber PewDiePie led the pack. This video, which boasts 27 million views and climbing, shows the final chapter of his playthrough of Mad Doctor, and includes a very creepy ending.
4. “League of Legends Cinematic: A Twist of Fate” by League of Legends
This CG video shows popular League of Legends characters, also known as champions. It has received over 24 million views so far.
5. “Official Call of Duty: Ghost Reveal Trailer” by Call of Duty
The next chapter of Call of Duty was revealed with much fanfare in April.
6. “League of Legends Music: Get Jinxed” by League of Legends
League of Legends has 45 million players worldwide, so it’s no surprise to see a second video featuring its champions on the list.
7. “Battlefield 4: Official 17 Minutes ‘Fishing in Baku’ Gameplay Reveal” by Battlefield
Fans got a lengthy look at Battlefield 4‘s gameplay in March. As excitement for this popular online shooter grew, it’s not surprising that this YouTube clip passed 16 million views.
8. “FUNNY GAMING MONTAGE” by PewDiePie
PewDiePie has the most subscribers on YouTube, so it’s no surprise that two of his videos made the list. This one features a montage of bits fromAmnesia: The Dark Descent, Bully, GTA IV and other titles.
9. “Official PlayStation Used Game Instructional Video” by PlayStation
At this year’s E3, Sony took a bite out of Microsoft’s proposed used-games structure for Xbox One, which limits players to sharing a game disc with only one friend. This video shows how PlayStation 4 users can “share” games.
10. “Minecraft Mini-Game: Cops N Robbers!” by Sky Does Minecraft
This humorous “Let’s Play” based in Minecraft gives the sandbox game a competitive spin.